Skip to main content

Brighton Marathon 2013...a blast

I was lucky enough to be able to run the Brighton Marathon today : I did this in memory of my father-in-law (full story here).   I;ve not run a marathon since London in (I think) 1992 : the ADT era, when the finish was on Lambeth Bridge, not the Mall, and we all ran in plus-fours.  Joking about the last bit.  I ran about 3:30 on that day in 1992, at the age of 29, and with a lot more single-sport dedication to running.  Now I am 50, I was thinking it would be interesting to see how I could run a single event marathon.

Brighton is a young (4 runnings) but big race : 9000 competitors.  The route starts from Preston Park, does a shimmy or two around the town centre, then sends you first east, then west along the sea front. Finish is just past the pier.

Conditions were good : the overnight rain cleared up, there as  a bit of light white cloud to keep the sun away, and some breeze but not a wind.   I had a few 20 mile/3 hour runs in my recent training past, but two weeks ago picked up a kink in my right soleus that only some rest and a bit of gait analysis is likely to cure.    But that wasn't a good enough reason not to race ;  just one to be cautious about expectations.  So my race strategy was to nurse this right leg injury carefully round the course at about 4:15 pace.  In fact, that was the pace of the pacemaker group I ran with for the first 7 miles.   But I found that I kept edging ahead, not suffering much, at at less that 140 HR I gave it some beans from 30KM onwards, coming home in a stormin' 3:58.  Last 12KM at 53 min for 10 K pace.



If you are thinking of a spring marathon, give Brighton some thought.   The race has a great atmosphere : well supported by a fantastic crowd, and great camaraderie among the runners.   The feed and water stations were just right - good placement and the right stuff at the right time.  And it's not hilly, so PBs should be in reach.


Comments

jason cuthbert said…
Amazing effort bud. Sub 4 with a dodgy leg too!
Hats off fella!
Jolly good show Peter - really pleased you got sub 4 - I never doubted you wouldn't !! Speak tomorrow for full race debrief !

Popular posts from this blog

Keep people on the wagon to make social software stick

Aside from the buzz and enthusiasm of social software deployments, there's sometimes a back-story.  I've been wondering about how well organsations deploying social software plan catch to on-boarded users before they fall back to old habits. Here's the scenario that I am thinking of. When we deploy business change technologies, we tend to measure on-boarding as a one-off activity (we measure stuff like that partly because it's easy to measure, which is a bit of an anti-pattern in itself).  So, once a user has been trained, posted, edited a profile, added people to a network, we cross them off a list.  However, this fails to recognise what, from my experience, is the strong influence of learned-behaviour of the non-social user, and how these users' inertia can reset interactions to levels of lower social value. The reasons we fall back to old ways and habits are many: The derived social value of an interaction obeys the "Convoy" principle The answer

Ironman UK 2012 - Friday evening and Saturday

During Friday afternoon I laid out all my kit in the hotel room, and bagged. Sad to say I even rehearsed the changes, just to make sure I had the right stuff in the right bags. Then I bagged up Red and Blue bags and put them to one site. Friday night was pretty grim – a tip to others : if you are planning to stay in the Holiday Inn, book very early and demand a room on the third / fourth floor or higher, because otherwise you'll lose even more sleep from the wedding parties (they can run two at a time) which occur, noisily, on the ground floor till 1 am. I managed a few dozes till the partying stopped around 1 am and then Saturday was set-up day : a first look at the lake, and T1 and T2. But first I went down to check out the Ironkids event in the town centre  This was basically a run event for 6 yro and up kids who had a blast running around the last km of the run route and under the Ironman Finish banner. Fun to see them and hear the parents and friends cheer