Skip to main content

Ironman UK 2012, one week on..


Driving back to Shepperton - mid Monday, school holidays - was pretty uneventful, except for a stop for food at Warwick services, where me and Olly met up with a few IMUK competitors “refuelling” in Burger King. Nice to bump into the couple who crossed the line together the previous evening, and a guy in a woolly hat who I'd chatted to in the hotel car park. We got back mid afternoon, and being the sort of guy who likes to get things squared away, I spent a relaxing our getting kit put away, my foul-smelling wetsuit rinsed, and over-ripe bananas consigned to recycling. Then a relaxing evening, before back to work Tuesday.

My physical state over the next few days was quite interesting. I'd got some sunburn on my right shoulder (missed that bit in T2), and my quads were sore off and on over the next few days, but to my surprise, my feet were in excellent shape : no blistered or chaffing. Coming downstairs Tuesday morning was harder than it had been Monday, and I remember now that was how I felt after the 1992 London Marathon : fine on the Monday, “ow-ouch-no-wait” on Tuesday.

I took a look at Friel's advice and did nothing during the working week, then had an easy 8km run Friday evening - I could feel some lactic acid still in my legs, and 45 minutes was definitely enough, but I really enjoyed the run. Today (the Sunday, exactly a week after the event) I did an easy two hour ride...no ill effects, and felt strong. My psychological state over the week has been excellent : a mixture of mild but persistent elation, and milder dis-belief - I still can't believe I've achieved this feat.   I really do think it's changed me a bit for the better, but I am not sure how..perhaps I am in the worst position to judge. 

As for getting back to some training : I've entered an event as a bit of a kicker to get back into some training : the 16 mile version of the Kingston run on 14th October. I am sure that the training for this will hit the blog at some point in the future.

But in the Ironman track, next post will be body-art related....heh heh heh.

* Fans of literary style will be relieved to notice that the highly-affected 1st person present-continuous style of the previous posts has been discontinued.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Keep people on the wagon to make social software stick

Aside from the buzz and enthusiasm of social software deployments, there's sometimes a back-story.  I've been wondering about how well organsations deploying social software plan catch to on-boarded users before they fall back to old habits. Here's the scenario that I am thinking of. When we deploy business change technologies, we tend to measure on-boarding as a one-off activity (we measure stuff like that partly because it's easy to measure, which is a bit of an anti-pattern in itself).  So, once a user has been trained, posted, edited a profile, added people to a network, we cross them off a list.  However, this fails to recognise what, from my experience, is the strong influence of learned-behaviour of the non-social user, and how these users' inertia can reset interactions to levels of lower social value. The reasons we fall back to old ways and habits are many: The derived social value of an interaction obeys the "Convoy" principle The answer

Ironman UK 2012 - Friday evening and Saturday

During Friday afternoon I laid out all my kit in the hotel room, and bagged. Sad to say I even rehearsed the changes, just to make sure I had the right stuff in the right bags. Then I bagged up Red and Blue bags and put them to one site. Friday night was pretty grim – a tip to others : if you are planning to stay in the Holiday Inn, book very early and demand a room on the third / fourth floor or higher, because otherwise you'll lose even more sleep from the wedding parties (they can run two at a time) which occur, noisily, on the ground floor till 1 am. I managed a few dozes till the partying stopped around 1 am and then Saturday was set-up day : a first look at the lake, and T1 and T2. But first I went down to check out the Ironkids event in the town centre  This was basically a run event for 6 yro and up kids who had a blast running around the last km of the run route and under the Ironman Finish banner. Fun to see them and hear the parents and friends cheer

Brighton Marathon 2013...a blast

I was lucky enough to be able to run the Brighton Marathon today : I did this in memory of my father-in-law (full story here ).   I;ve not run a marathon since London in (I think) 1992 : the ADT era, when the finish was on Lambeth Bridge, not the Mall, and we all ran in plus-fours.  Joking about the last bit.  I ran about 3:30 on that day in 1992, at the age of 29, and with a lot more single-sport dedication to running.  Now I am 50, I was thinking it would be interesting to see how I could run a single event marathon. Brighton is a young (4 runnings) but big race : 9000 competitors.  The route starts from Preston Park, does a shimmy or two around the town centre, then sends you first east, then west along the sea front. Finish is just past the pier. Conditions were good : the overnight rain cleared up, there as  a bit of light white cloud to keep the sun away, and some breeze but not a wind.   I had a few 20 mile/3 hour runs in my recent training past, but two weeks ago picked up