Skip to main content

Ironman UK 2012 - the race day!


The big day begins

So. It's 02:45. I get out of bed, jump into my tri suit and calf guards, and head off to the bathroom to stare at my bleary face and apply my tattoo. Hold on, is it left arm or right? It's right. After a minute or so I have “1234” going down my right arm. I pop on a T and some Ron Hill legs, grab my car key, and white swim bag with wetsuit, bodyglide, and goggles, and head off to breakfast. The only people eating at this time are, of course, IM athletes, so I sit and chat to a nice guy called Michael (all the way from Copenhagen) about the day to come and stick a plate of porridge down my throat. He's got previous experience : Challenge Copenhagen. That looks like a franchise to watch. Sitting in the restaurant, looking out of the window into a still-very-dark Bolton night, finishing the race seems a long way away. We wish each other luck, and I go down to the car park, find my car and drive the 15 minutes to the Reebock Stadium where the buses are lined up to take us to the swim. I quickly fill my two bike bottles with water (on top of the SIS powder already in the bottles), lock the car, and head off in what feels like the dark of Mordor to join a short queue of, to be honest, not very happy-looking people lining up to be marshalled onto a blue double decker. Five minutes later and we're off, mostly in silence, bumping our way thru the Lancashire night to the Swim start.

Twenty minutes or so, later, we all troop off the bus, and head off in completely the wrong direction. Great start to the day. A shout from a marshall and we are then walking along a wooded path to the swim start. Sound of generators, shadows from arc lights start to appear, and then T1 becomes familiar. A grey dawn gently drops down from the sky, and my first stop is T1 to get my bottles on my bike, check that I can remember where it is. Those nice people at IM have covered the bikes with plastic sheets, and finding the bike's initially a challenge. The bike is fine, and I walk back out to look out at the water, and sample the atmosphere. I suddenly realise that my nervousness has mostly disappeared. I sit down by the water on a bench and watch people and their partners arrive, and go thru preparations. I am just wondering when to start putting on my wetsuit when I see other competitors doing just that, and also realise I am not completely sure where the start is, so a marshall helps me out. I get my legs into my suit, apply Body glide as liberally as I can, get swim hat and goggles out of the bag, and give the bag in at the truck, which will take it to the finish. It's 5:50, 30 mins to go ,and the announcements and motivational music are starting. A line of white hatted, wetsuited IM competitors starts to build up at the water entry point : this is a mass start, in the water, and most people don't want to be at the back. I find someone to help me zip up my suit, and we chat about the day ahead. General laughs as a few spots of light rain fall, cheers when it stops. Then we start to filter in towards the start, professionals at the front, and a big cheer goes up for the injured vets competing for Team True Spirit and their companion athletes. At 5 to 6 we are mostly not in the water; I idly wonder how we can get in in five minutes, and realise it will be a late start. Getting in the line in the last 200 or so, we troop under the start banner, and slide off a red carpetted platform into about 4 feet of pleasant water (16 degrees). Under keen urging from the marshalls, we swim out about 20 metres, about 30 metres behind the official start where the professionals are churning it up in their warm up. I do a few strokes get accustomed to the warm temp, and stretch out arms, and then roll onto my back to look back at the start; swimmers still sliding in and then suddenly everyone is off the start platform.  What seems only seconds later, the start is sounded. I am not sure now if it was a klaxon, gun or both, but suddenly we're off, and its 06:10. The washing machine starts off ahead of me, but, as a weak swimmer, that's not my concern : I am looking to get into a good rhythm, treat the swim as a chance to relax into the event, and see if I can catch a draft.

The swim

Even at the back of the group, it's pretty crazy, but I stay out of trouble, and my technique for the first 750m to the first buoy stayed good. And – good news – at that buoy I manage to catch a few tens of metres of draft from another swimmer, and then another at the second turn around. By this time we are turning back to the shore for lap one, and one mental milestone passed, but my luck runs out when a breast-stroker accidentally hoofs me in the ribs at a bad part of my stroke, causing me to take in a lot of water – as it was swallow or choke, I went for swallow. At this point I really have to focus, and look for clear water, and concentrate on good technique. Fifteen minutes later, I have recovered well, and am being helped out of the water at the end of lap one, before trotting back along the 30 or so metres to the start platform to begin lap two.

Lap two is a lonelier experience. All the half-way decent swimmers are well out of my draftable range by now, so I settle into a rhythm and start to think about how the day is going so far. In fact I start to relax and swim more easily. Rolling, I can see a bit of blue sky breaking through the grey, and the turnaround buoy seems to come reasonably quickly. By the time I am half-way back to the shore, fatigue is setting in a bit, and my stroke is starting to break down a little, but I get out in reasonable shape in what turned out to be the expectedly poor time of 1:42. Wetsuit down to waist, hat rolled off : next stop, T1.

Transition 1

Good marshalling gets me into the transition tent in no time at all. I grab my blue bag and head over to the seating area; I am actually reasonably pleased to see that there were other bags uncollected – so I am not last. In the bag I had placed a detailed list of things to do - I really didn't want to head off without nutrition, or getting all the comfort factors sorted out : I put on cycling shorts and my gilet over my tri suit, load the gilet up with enery bars and other items to munch, and spend a good 30 seconds drying my feet, and getting some comfy socks on before my cycling shoes, and lastly slapping on some sun stuff, which seemed an odd thing to do in the dark and glooming tent. Seems like a long time (11 minutes so it was) but in the light of the whole day, a bit of decent care and feeding in transition goes a long way. Then I get my helmet and gloves on, stuf swimming stuff into the blue bag, and shuffle out to the bike racking area. I find the Look pretty easily(well, there aren't many bikes left by this stage). Rules state no riding till the official mount zone so I trot out, swing a leg over in the mount area, and head off out to the roads of Lancashire.

The bike

By now it is about 7:50 on a lovely bright morning and – joy of joys – closed roads. So straight over roundabouts, left turns, through junctions, with the police holding up traffic so we can keep going! Amazing, all the day long. The first part of the ride is to get north-east, up to the start of three hilly laps, each starting with the infamous Sheep House Lane (SHL) climb. And the first 30 km or so turn out to be basically a lovely spin up thru quiet roads, saying hi to other riders and thankin people who had turned out to support (and there were thousands, over the day, of those!) My bike plan was : 25 km per hour, no red zoning, high cadence – just as I had trained. After about an hour however, it becomes clear that the terrain will not be letting me maintain that average speed without significantly more effort – or “beans” as we call them – than I have trained for. Worse still, I have some concern, with my “leisurely” swim performance, that I won't make the cut off time at the pace I was riding. So : nothing for it, but to burn. On the three hilly laps, I go pretty hard, using my cyclometer to report average speed; on the hilly start of each lap, my average speed drops, and I plan to use the back part of the lap, with some lovely country/moorland downhills, to make time back. But other factors affecting this were the wind and sun; it's a hot and sunny day, and a headwind that makes riding on the flat pretty draining. So the bike, lovely though it was, becomes the most tiring part of the day. It is a beautiful ride; SHL is an epic climb. The start is fantastically supported, a series of curves covered by trees, lots of people cheering, ringing bells, pots and pans; then it straightens, climbs goes through a gate, and rears to the top of the moor at its steepest, then bears left and goes AGAIN before a fine decent into a village. First time up ; no problem, relatively easy spinning, although I was in 34/25. Second time ; feeling it, but still under control. Third and last time : a total grind, but I am determined not to walk it like others were by this time. Pre-riding the course is something I really should have done...but you can't be everywhere. Bike time 7:42 – under the circumstances, a good effort, and I roll into T2 at ten to four in the afternoon.

Transition 2

Sitting in T2, changing into my run gear, I am feeling pretty good, considering. I know I have been on a loooong ride, but my mood is perky, people around are in good spirits (all VERY pleased to be off the bike...the last link up to T2 seemed to take an age), and I know I was going to make it...at some time. Once again, a ten minute transition : got to look after those feet, so new socks, plenty of Vaseline in all those chafing “hotspots”, some more sunblock, on with the shoes and hat, and off we go. The main question in my mind was : how long will the run take?

On the run

Running out of T2, on the slight downhill to the road into Bolton, my legs are definitely a bit shaky, but a bit of support from the lovely local folk, and the thought that the day was nearer the finish than the start really picks me up. My run strategy was basically shot : I knew I'd been too into the red on the bike to run anything close to 4:15, so I was settling for a consistent performance, and let's see where we are after an hour. The sun is still beating down, and I was starting to feel a raw patch on my right shoulder where I had clearly missed with sunblock. I like to run with others and in about a kilometer, I jog up alongside a guy called Peter, who has a similar run pace and overall race aspirations in mind – plus, he'd done the race last year so could offer some good tips. We run and chat for an hour as we ran the first 6 miles down to the start of the laps into and out of Bolton city centre that constitute the marathon. I feel pretty good on this six miles, but there's a feeling that a run/walk strategy was looming is starting to emerge. We turn off the canal, up a steep track and at last arrive (another mental milestone) on the laps section. So just 3 of these laps, collecting a different coloured band each lap as evidence (though there are timing mats for your leg-attached chip all over the course), and then a final run back into Bolton. After another hour, and by this time, we had worked out a walk the feed-stations/run the gaps approach, we had our first band, and the sun was starting to set, providing some relief and deeper shade. A woman in a house along the road has a hosepipe turned on over the runners which is really refreshing. I wasn't feeling too good as this point : digestion problems mean that each time I have a drink (was drinking flat coke/water in a 1:3 ratio), I have to walk for a few minutes to keep it down. Peter is suffering too, in his case with calves. As with the bike, hundreds of people are out and supporting, and cheering friends and complete strangers with equal vigour.

On we continue, through lap two and then lap three at about 8 pm. I get a big buzz from seeing my wife and son each time we pass through central Bolton, and my mood never really deteriorates, even at the the end of each lap when, instead of heading off down the finish funnel to the nirvana of Ironman-ness, we have to go right, along Le Mans Crescent and out for another lap. Starting lap three our pace is reasonable and some quick calculations tell me we'll make finish by 9 pm : giving me a sub 15 hr finish. But as we proceed through the lap, our pace drops, and eventually I run on from the end turn, and (very pleased with myself) put in a 30 minute final 5 km, with good pace and control and some pride in my running style. The support all the way back into Bolton is amazing, and for the first time in the run I feel strong, passing other finishers on the way. Coming down the final hill, though the last feed station, right into the main street, and then into the finish area in front of the Town Hall : a quick look up and YES....14:55!! “Peter Greaves, you are an Ironman!”

Next ...

Comments

Andy said…
An epic day and great race report - top racing ! Well done
Great achievement and good motivation for my 70.3 at the weekend

Popular posts from this blog

Keep people on the wagon to make social software stick

Aside from the buzz and enthusiasm of social software deployments, there's sometimes a back-story.  I've been wondering about how well organsations deploying social software plan catch to on-boarded users before they fall back to old habits. Here's the scenario that I am thinking of. When we deploy business change technologies, we tend to measure on-boarding as a one-off activity (we measure stuff like that partly because it's easy to measure, which is a bit of an anti-pattern in itself).  So, once a user has been trained, posted, edited a profile, added people to a network, we cross them off a list.  However, this fails to recognise what, from my experience, is the strong influence of learned-behaviour of the non-social user, and how these users' inertia can reset interactions to levels of lower social value. The reasons we fall back to old ways and habits are many: The derived social value of an interaction obeys the "Convoy" principle The answer

Ironman UK 2012 - Friday evening and Saturday

During Friday afternoon I laid out all my kit in the hotel room, and bagged. Sad to say I even rehearsed the changes, just to make sure I had the right stuff in the right bags. Then I bagged up Red and Blue bags and put them to one site. Friday night was pretty grim – a tip to others : if you are planning to stay in the Holiday Inn, book very early and demand a room on the third / fourth floor or higher, because otherwise you'll lose even more sleep from the wedding parties (they can run two at a time) which occur, noisily, on the ground floor till 1 am. I managed a few dozes till the partying stopped around 1 am and then Saturday was set-up day : a first look at the lake, and T1 and T2. But first I went down to check out the Ironkids event in the town centre  This was basically a run event for 6 yro and up kids who had a blast running around the last km of the run route and under the Ironman Finish banner. Fun to see them and hear the parents and friends cheer

Brighton Marathon 2013...a blast

I was lucky enough to be able to run the Brighton Marathon today : I did this in memory of my father-in-law (full story here ).   I;ve not run a marathon since London in (I think) 1992 : the ADT era, when the finish was on Lambeth Bridge, not the Mall, and we all ran in plus-fours.  Joking about the last bit.  I ran about 3:30 on that day in 1992, at the age of 29, and with a lot more single-sport dedication to running.  Now I am 50, I was thinking it would be interesting to see how I could run a single event marathon. Brighton is a young (4 runnings) but big race : 9000 competitors.  The route starts from Preston Park, does a shimmy or two around the town centre, then sends you first east, then west along the sea front. Finish is just past the pier. Conditions were good : the overnight rain cleared up, there as  a bit of light white cloud to keep the sun away, and some breeze but not a wind.   I had a few 20 mile/3 hour runs in my recent training past, but two weeks ago picked up